Is it okay to put a metal roof over shingles? This is a question that many homeowners ask when considering a new roof. There are pros and cons to both metal and shingle roofs, and the best option for your home will depend on your individual needs and budget.
In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of putting a metal roof over shingles, as well as some factors to consider when making your decision.
Pros of Putting a Metal Roof Over Shingles
There are several pros to putting a metal roof over shingles.
- Increased durability: Metal roofs are much more durable than shingles. They can withstand hail, wind, and other harsh weather conditions.
- Extended lifespan: Metal roofs can last for 50 years or more, while shingles typically need to be replaced every 20 years or so.
- Energy efficiency: Metal roofs can help to reduce your energy bills by reflecting heat away from your home.
- Reduced maintenance: Metal roofs require very little maintenance. You won’t have to worry about replacing shingles or repairing leaks.
Cons of Putting a Metal Roof Over Shingles
There are also a few cons to putting a metal roof over shingles.
- Cost: Metal roofs are more expensive than shingles.
- Weight: Metal roofs are much heavier than shingles, which can put additional stress on your roof deck.
- Noise: Metal roofs can be noisier than shingles during rain or hail.
Factors to Consider
When deciding whether or not to put this roof, there are several factors to consider.
- Your budget: Metal roofs are more expensive than shingles, so you’ll need to factor in the cost of materials and labor when making your decision.
- The age of your roof: If your roof is in good condition, you may not need to replace it with a metal roof. However, if your roof is damaged or nearing the end of its lifespan, a metal roof is a good option.
- Your climate: Metal roofs are a good choice for areas with harsh weather conditions. They can withstand hail, wind, and other extreme weather events.
- Your aesthetic preferences: Metal roofs come in a variety of colors and styles to match your home’s exterior.
Whether or not to put this roof is a personal decision. There are pros and cons to both options, so you’ll need to weigh the factors that are most important to you before making a decision.
In addition to the information provided above, here are a few additional tips for putting a metal roof over shingles:
- Make sure your roof deck is in good condition. If the roof deck is damaged, you’ll need to repair it before installing the metal roof.
- Use a qualified contractor. Installing a metal roof is a complex project, so it’s important to hire a qualified contractor to do the job.
- Get multiple estimates. Compare estimates from several contractors before making a decision.
Is it Okay to Put Metal Roof Over Shingles?
The answer to this question depends on your individual needs and budget. If you’re looking for a durable, long-lasting roof that requires little maintenance, a metal roof is a good option. However, if you’re on a tight budget or you’re concerned about the weight or noise of a metal roof, you may want to consider other options.tunesharemore_vert